Hi All,
I hope everyone is safe and well!
So today was my third day in London, and today I decided to ditch the maps and plans and just go for a walk! It was a bit overcast for most of the day, but occasionally I caught a glimpse of blue skies and sunshine poking through the clouds. I grabbed a coffee at starbucks, had a quick chat to mum via skype, and then headed to South Kensington Station.
From South Kensington station I took the tube through to Green Park station which is at the top of Green Park funnily enough, which butts up against Buckingham Palace. Green Park is full of deciduous trees (trees that drop their leaves annually). There must be hundreds of these trees throughout the park, so this means 4.3 billion leaves throughout the park. Crunchy and in an everlasting aray of colours, there are literally leaves everywhere! One good gust of wind, and you’re practically up to your waist in delightfully crunchy leaf matter. Today was also very windy, I had to stop on a few occasions and try to get out of a gust of wind that was almost knocking me over. What I came across next in Green Park had me slightly confused. There were men, about 6 or so, groundskeepers, with a GIANT blower, epically failing at blowing these leaves off the footpaths. Within seconds of them blowing the leaves off the footpaths, a gust of wind would pick the leaves back up and litter them back across the paths. Talk about fighting a losing battle! I think this definitely would top the list of most frustrating jobs in Brittan.
I passed by Buckham Palace, just as the changing of the guard was taking place, as it does daily, and then headed down The Mall, a road that leads from Buckham Palace through to Charinig Cross. From Charing Cross I really have no idea where I went. I passed a lot of museums and monuments and eventually found myself in Leicester Square. It was quite nice to not really know where I was going, and just to follow the crowds, or walk in the direction of something I could see in the distance. At some point during the day, I must have smiled at some random that made eyecontact with me, and he doubled back and asked if he could “pay me a compliment” then proceeded to tell me he thought I was “just lovely”! Lol My first thought was “are you going to rob me?” lol I said a very quick thankyou, laughed at him and walked away at a very very fast pace! Lol he looked like the guy from the Nescafe adverts “Swopshire? Realy? How wonderful” I know at some point I ended up back at Piccadilly Circus and then back through to Charing Cross and on to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. I did pass a lot of the theatres today as well, which was lovely. I would really love to get inside on a backstage tour of a few, so might have a look into that tomorrow!
From Westminster Abbey, I decided it was probably time to head back to the house, so I hopped the train through to South Kensington. Westminster Abbey station is an absolute maze of escalators and walkways, very very confusing, I went downstairs three floors, only to find I had to go back up two floors in a different direction to actually get to the platform I wanted to be at! Argh! Lol however, I have found that the tube is generally pretty easy to use, and there always seems to be an abundance of trains every few minutes, so there’s never really a rush.
A few piccies from my wander around today!
So that was about it for me really, was a lovely day, really nice to just wander around with no purpose or direction. London really is such a beautiful city to just walk around!
If you made it to here, well done! The above was not the most exciting of posts!
SJ xx
No comments:
Post a Comment