Sunday, July 29, 2012

It's been a while....Part 1 - Spain




Hi All! 


Okay, I'm extremely slack and haven't blogged in what seems like forever! It seems at the moment that I keep starting, and then something happens and I don't get back into it for ages! 


So What I'm going to do is break down all my travels into separate posts which will hopefully make things a little easier for everyone to read and probably me to write! 


I hope this post finds everyone safe and well! 


So.. my trip to sunny Spain! 


I flew out of London on Wednesday the 14th (June) from Gatwick Airport on a 7:00am flight. Epic Fail. I had arranged the night before to get an Addison Lee (like a taxi) to take me to Victoria Station so that I could catch the Gatwick Express to the airport the 5.15 train EW!. Gatwick Express my backside! We ended up being delayed on the line at some point because we were too early, and then ended up late. Also Gatwick Airport isn't particularly well signed at the entrance from the train, and it took me a couple of minutes to realise that I had to transfer terminals via shuttle train. UGH! By this time, it was about 6.20am and I was resigned to the fact that I may have to buy another ticket to Malaga. 


Finally arriving at the terminal I managed to check my bag and proceed to bag drop desk, to be greeted by a very grumpy Susanne, who promptly told me off for being late...um yeah THANKS Captain Obvious! After a few calls to re-open the baggage check, she told me that it would take at least 10 minutes to get to gate 106, and that there was NO STOPING on the way and I would need to RUN! Me? RUN? this must be a joke! Alas it was not. It so turns out, that indeed I can run.... I can also jump over children, baggage and anything else that thought it might interrupt my passage to gate 106. I'm sure there is some funny sod sitting in security, watching my epic journey in slow motion from the CCTV... 


After what seemed like a lifetime I rounded a corner and was greeted by a big glowing sign informing me that I had indeed reached gate 106 just in time for boarding <insert victory music here>.
I was definitely the colour of a beetroot, and sounded like an old man with emphysema...
Row 8 seat F. Thank god! Sitting down, and rearranging myself, I was greeted by two ladies (mother in her 60's and daughter in her 40's) I'm sure I long-jumped past somewhere around duty free, who no doubt had had a casual stroll to gate and had indeed made it in time....  I huffed a brief hello, how are you? and they didn't talk to me again the rest of the flight... HA 


Flying over spain is truly amazing. It looks like a giant patchwork quilt that someone has very carefully sewn together with threads of dark green trees. We passed over the snow capped Pyrenees Mountains and eventually landed at Malaga Airport.  


So besides wanting to visit the South of Spain, I have been dying to come to visit my Aunty Jo. She is my Father's sister. Over the years Jo has come home to Australia for Christmas's and we have had brief catch up's then, but I've never really spent much one on one time with anyone on that side of my family! 


So once I arrived in London, I sent her an email to see if she would have me for a couple of weeks! I was delighted to find out that indeed I could stay as long as I liked, and could consider her home in Coin, my Spanish Home Away from Home! 


Jo picked me up at the airport, and we drove back to her home in Coin. The landscapes on the way from Malaga Airport through to Coin are incredible! As you drive along, you see a lot of nothing, then all of a sudden a little township, that takes you less than a minute to pass entirely! It's incredible and I love it! 




The view from Jo's terrace!

Jo is the head of the Coin branch of the British Legion, so an enormous part of her time is dedicated to organising all sorts of things for the BL. The day after I arrived, they had a conference in Torremolenos, a little town on the coast, I decided to tag along and make a day of wandering around this adorable little sea side town. 


I made the epic mistake of wearing my walking boots... way too hot... and within about 20 minutes of being there I had bought a hat and a new pair of Havianas! WINNING!!  I spent most of the day wandering in and out of little shops and up and down the board walk. I stopped for "Cafe Con Leche" (Oh Lorena would be so proud) a couple of times and then eventually stopped for lunch at a beach side restaurant, with a stunning view of the beach and all the Germanic tourists already cherry tomato red bathing in the sun. 


The beach at Torremolenos!


Friday Jo took me out to Puerto Banus, which is like the Gold Coast of Marbella and Malaga, there are yachts and Ferrari's everywhere, and for every Ferrari, there are three beautiful restaurants! It was lovely to walk through the Marina and the shops. We had lunch in a little restaurant with official the worst Payella I have ever had lol but you have to try these things right? 


Saturday I spent most of the day lounging around the pool at Jo's (yes it's a hard life I lead! lol ) reading the final books in the 50 shades trilogy (which I quite enjoyed). In the evening Jo took me to a "Race Night" in aid of one of the Animal Welfare charities around Coin. Unfortunately the race night didn't exactly go ahead, but the British Legion still managed to raise about 100 Euro for the charity!




The pool where I found myself lazing... a lot!

Sunday morning we had a nice lazy day and headed down to the local tat (junk) markets to have a look around and then headed to the house of two BL members to help with a clean up of the garage for the BL tat stall and a lovely afternoon BBQ. 


Monday afternoon we went down to the Arroyo De La Niel Marina for a wander around, the Marina was absolutely beautiful! There are so many little restaurants and lovely beach! We found a lovely little mexican place for dinner and sat and watched the people go past! It was truly a lovely afternoon! It may have been followed up by gelato.... oops! Yes my hips are rapidly expanding! lol Oh well! 




People watching at Arroyo De La Niel Marina. 


On Tuesday Jo took me into Old Town Marbella. The buildings were absolutely incredible! We stopped for lunch in Orange Square and then wandered around the shops (Jo can shop like no other!). 
I find the heat in Spain makes me very tired, and even walking around is draining! 
On our return to the car, which we had earlier parked downstairs in honestly one of the tightest carparks (on a whole not just the particular space) we found that we were indeed stuck! Trying to reverse out without hitting something was going to be a nightmare! luckily, 5 lovely men came to our rescue, each watching a certain corner of the car! Absolutely hilarious! Finally we were out!! 


Later in the week, we headed out to Ronda, a lovely town on the top of a huge gorge, with beautiful old buildings, a bull ring and lots of other things to see and do! The views from the lookout at Ronda were absolutely incredible! On the way from Ronda we headed to a little town called Juzcar. Juzcar is a TINY little town where every building is painted Smurf blue! Yep Smurf Blue!! Apparently Sony came along and offered to repaint the entire town, if they would let them paint it blue for promo for the movie. The townspeople agreed, and the village was painted BLUE! Later Sony were to come back and paint the village white again, btu the townspeople voted and decided to keep the village blue due to the rise in tourists coming to see the town!


News Article on the town --> http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16133348 




















In my final few days we drove around Malaga and went up to an old Fort that looks out over the beautiful city and had lunch and a wander around. I was lucky enough to be invited to go on one of the Legion trips out to Alfanati (sp) for their annual cherry festival, and I definitely spent more than my share of hours lazing by the pool! 







I honestly had such an amazing time in Coin and surrounds. I can't wait to go back! 


Next Stop London for 4 days, then off to Greece! 


Stay Safe! 


SJ x 















No comments:

Post a Comment